Friday, November 11, 2011

Tutorial: Acorn Pincushions


First off, let me sayI'd never heard of acorn pincusions until this year's IQF.  They were EVERYWHERE.  I did a little research and this is a Victorian throwback.  All of the ones we saw used felted wool, but We decided stuffing yo yos would be just as fun.  Here's how we did it.

 Find some big ol' acorns.  Some places actually sell these for $1 each or so.  If you don't know where to find these, my advice is to hunt for squirrels that look like they are on 'roids (but do not make them angry!).
 Proper footwear recommended...

 You will now want to find a circular object to use for tracing your fabric circles.  Find a circle whose radius (distance from center to outside edge) is at least as big as your acorn...a little bigger is even better.
 Trace and cut out your circles.
 Run a basting stitch around the edge and then stuff tight with a polyfil or cluster-stuff.  My 7 year old and my best friend helped me with these.

 Lock those stitches into place just like you would when finishing a hand binding.  Hot glue or use a generous amount of school glue to place the yoyo into the acorn cap.  Let dry completely. 

 Marvel at your new acorn pincusions...not at my crappy photography.

 If you make these, I'd love to see a picture. 




10 comments:

  1. that's so cool! i know JUST the spot to find the acorn caps!! my son will help- while my daugther does gymnastics- outside the building is a huge OAK tree, now I can actually USE my son's collection.... how long would they last though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to find my proper gathering shoes and head to the park. Wonder if it will be warm enough for Stephen and I to walk there today? Thanks, these will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What?! A real acorn cap? This is darrrrling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're gorgeous! Anyone want to send me some acorn caps? (I can't think of the last time I saw any acorns here in Perth, although I'm sure there must be some somewhere..)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The acorns are so cute. I'm going out and and look for some tomorrow.
    I'm going to make a bunch and put in a bowl and let my friends pick one out to take home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cuteness!!! Thanks for sharing how you did it. Now I need to go someplace where I can find some acorns. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...