Monday, March 8, 2010

Getting the Shakes

My machine, a Juki HZL E70, has been in the shop for 3 weeks now. UGH. I'm seriously getting the shakes from not sewing this long. I never realized what a stress reliever the sewing was for me. I've spent too much money, cut out too many quilts, and eaten too much chocolate. What's a girl to do next? Start blogging???

I have been quilting for almost exactly 1 year now. I rarely use a true pattern, though I am not a fan doing pure improv quilting. I like to put the thought into my quilts before I ever start sewing. By the time I start stitching I like just kind of letting go and sewing it...no more thought involved. Since I have no finishes this week I'll leave you with some of my favorite quilts of this first year.



This quilt was made for my oldest son. He loves Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang. The backing is a peanuts fabric and the front is composed of yellow and black polka dot fabric. I'd love to have a do-over of this one...I'd use better fabric and I'd do better on my binding. He loves it to death and that's all that counts, I guess!



This crayon quilt was made for my youngest son. He had pretty much driven me insane with his wall coloring. At 2 years old there were secret stashes of markers, crayons, pencils, and pens all over the house. Paint had become a regular cleaning supply. I joke that Magic Eraser prevents child abuse. When it came time to make a quilt for him, I came up with this pattern. i was inspired by some internet photos to use a print for the wrapper and a solid for the actual crayon. The green crayon tip is a little wonky..I used a variation on a snowball block and I just didn't get it perfect BUT of the 3 quilts I have made by my mother, none are perfect, but all are cherished. I stippled this and I am happy to say after several months of use it is finally softening up.


Finally this quilt was made for my husband's grandmother. I never had a grandparent...they had passed on before I made it to the world. I have kind of adopted her. She's the kind of woman we all want to be. She is such a lady with such impeccable manners and a beautiful southern drawwwlllll, but she is no pushover! I decided to make this for her this winter...the first winter since her sweet husband passed away (he was a HOOT). I hope it has kept her warm. It turned out to be a timely gift since this is the coldest winter in the history of the world ever!!! I picked out that sweet Angel Cakes fabric by Alexander Henry because it reminded me of little 1950's children...her only son was born in 1953. The rest came from stash.

I really don't buy matching fabrics or fat quarter sets. I buy what I can afford and like (usually the half off rack at the quilt shop) and just save it up for the perfect project. I'm really drawn to quilts with random fabric choices. I love the beautiful ones that are all matched up, but there is something so reminiscent of my mother in making do with what you have. She passed away when I was 19 and I never really learned much except basic sewing and threading a machine. I feel very close to her whenever I sit down to the machine, and I think that's a huge part of why not having my machine has been giving me the shakes. Until next time...

P.S. I apologize for the photos. I really never saw myself blogging so I never took wonderful pictures. I will try to do better in the future!

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is wonderful, and I love your quilts!! :)

    Your blog title is great too! Great job my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...